Celebrities with Sjogren's syndrome: Carrie Ann Inaba

 Q and A with Carrie Ann Inaba

Carrie Ann is a familiar face in millions of American homes. A lifelong dancer, she has become well-known as a judge on the show “Dancing with the Stars.” She was also the co-host of the CBS daytime talk show “The Talk.” Outside of her on-camera career, Inaba is a self-described warrior for those with Sjögren’s syndrome' which she has herself. 

Celebrities with Sjogren's syndrome

What is Sjögren’s Syndrome?

It is a disorder of the immune system.  The main symptoms of Sjögren's syndrome are musculoskeletal pain, fatigue, dry mouth and dry eyes. It can also affect the joints, lungs, kidneys, blood vessels, digestive organs and nerves.

Tell us how you work to relieve stress and pain.

Yoga has been a lifesaver for me. The breathing techniques are so powerful for calming your system down and relieving stress. I use a lot of meditation apps. I’ve been using one for years every night before I go to bed and when I’m in need of a short, five-minute break during the day. I also use acupuncture and massage to help relieve pain, as well as medications.

What is your message and advice to others with Sjögren’s?

Sjögren’s is a complicated disease. Don’t let people tell you it is all in your mind. It is important for you to let those around you know about your health. Sjögren’s is not something that others can see. On your good days, you look fine and your energy is great. On your bad days, it is a whole different story. NIH MedlinePlus Magazine Summer 2020

Since this interview Carrie Ann has been diagnosed with lupus, fibromyalgia, rheumatoid arthritis, and the markers for antiphospholipid syndrome, as well as Sjögren’s Syndrome, and she has been in and out of hospital. Her most recent visit was in 2023 with appendicitis.  After having an emergency appendectomy she urged others with autoimmune diseases not to try and wait out symptoms but to seek medical attention.

In 2021 in an interview in People, Inaba, then 53, said she had all "invisible illnesses" that can be isolating and difficult to manage, both physically and mentally.

She continues to speak openly about all her conditions in order to help others and she also offers advice.

What is your message and advice to others with Sjögren's?

Sjögren’s is a complicated disease. Don’t let people tell you it is all in your mind. It is important for you to let those around you know about your health. Sjögren’s is not something that others can see. On your good days, you look fine and your energy is great. On your bad days, it is a whole different story.

I have several tips for those with Sjögren’s. I sleep so much better when I use a humidifier. I also put eye drops in my eyes right before I go to bed and when I wake up. For my job, obviously, I talk a lot. So, I use a moisturizing spray for my dry mouth. I always carry water with me and I always have mints. It is important to keep your mouth hydrated. I have another trick to keep my skin moisturized. I learned it when I was training dancers in Japan. Put body oil over body butter. I also reapply moisture twice a day. NIH

Carrie Ann has several chronic autoimmune disorders, including Sjogren's syndrome, lupus, fibromyalgia and rheumatoid arthritis. According to the Sjögren's Foundation of America 'About half of the time Sjögren's occurs alone, and the other half it occurs in the presence of another autoimmune connective tissue disease such as Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus, or Scleroderma.'

Celebrities with Sjogren's syndrome Carrie Ann Inaba

Comments